Author Topic: Computer virus scammers  (Read 697 times)

Offline Trumanns For Steel

Computer virus scammers
« on: November 11, 2011, 02:28:18 PM »
Here's a link for a BBC4 radio programme in which Rory Cellan-Jones confronts a scam caller who is trying to sell "anti-virus" software

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9637000/9637033.stm

I get these all of the time, at least 4 times a week. Sometimes I play along and waste their time if I'm in a good mood. If they catch me in a bad mood they getting a blazing four-letter word rampage in their earholes. I've even told them that I am a tramp and they have called the telephone box that I'm living in  :laughing7:

Woke up this morning, with a Blue Moon in your eyes.
So throw those curtains wide, One day like this a year'd see me right.

Offline spike

• Administrator
Re: Computer virus scammers
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 03:48:29 PM »
I've even told them that I am a tramp and they have called the telephone box that I'm living in 

rofl.gif
Keep believing.

Offline eastlandsblue

• We came to Eastlands from Maine road
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 05:33:32 PM »
I've had a few of these call too and given them short thrift

Somebody called Abdul with a Yahoo email address recently hacked my Hotmail account, which I use when I am travelling abroad. He emailed all my contacts in my name asking for $2500 to get my non existant cousin Cloe back from Spain for medical attention, then he altered my settings to forward replies to his email address

You have to be alert to these scams  mad.gif  even ex African government officers with $150,000 to share with you for allowing him to use your back account
"We came to Eastlands from Maine Road, had to make the move
But we all still love City, we are ManCity Blues"

Offline clevblue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 06:45:40 PM »
eXCELLENT :laughing7:
At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is an act of revolution

George Orwell

Online wilhelm hand

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 07:28:11 PM »
 i actually cashed in on the nigeria
ex government/banker scheme
and received a few million dollars.

i thought it was great
but then the dollar value went down
and i had to find a part time job  again

Offline Trumanns For Steel

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 03:32:20 PM »
I heard the most appalling thing today. Once again I had one of these calls today, and after the usual rigmarole of me telling the chap where to shove his scams he must have forgotten to hang up. I stayed on the line as I could overhear another scammer talking to someone else, I could only hear the one side of the conversation but it went something like this, in a thick Asian accent.

"Can you tell me your age?" repeated about 10 times

"Yes, I am phoning from the head office of your Bank, there is a problem with your debit card and we need your details"

He the proceeded to ask for date of birth, the long card number and expiry date and then the security code on the back. Luckily it seems that the person on the other end of the line stopped giving his/her details as then the Asian chap started to get irate, shouting

"No, you can piss off" again and again.

It really shocked and annoyed me and I'm just glad that they didn't get the bank details. I shall be contacting Trading Standards tomorrow when their offices are open, but I have a feeling that because the scammers set up in other countries, then there isn't anything that they can do.  angry21.gif
Woke up this morning, with a Blue Moon in your eyes.
So throw those curtains wide, One day like this a year'd see me right.

Offline spike

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 11:00:30 AM »
I've had a few of these call too and given them short thrift

Somebody called Abdul with a Yahoo email address recently hacked my Hotmail account, which I use when I am travelling abroad. He emailed all my contacts in my name asking for $2500 to get my non existant cousin Cloe back from Spain for medical attention, then he altered my settings to forward replies to his email address

You have to be alert to these scams  mad.gif  even ex African government officers with $150,000 to share with you for allowing him to use your back account

What's the latest on your cousin Chloe? I hope she's ok.
Keep believing.

Offline clevblue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 09:19:43 AM »
I heard the most appalling thing today. Once again I had one of these calls today, and after the usual rigmarole of me telling the chap where to shove his scams he must have forgotten to hang up. I stayed on the line as I could overhear another scammer talking to someone else, I could only hear the one side of the conversation but it went something like this, in a thick Asian accent.

"Can you tell me your age?" repeated about 10 times

"Yes, I am phoning from the head office of your Bank, there is a problem with your debit card and we need your details"

He the proceeded to ask for date of birth, the long card number and expiry date and then the security code on the back. Luckily it seems that the person on the other end of the line stopped giving his/her details as then the Asian chap started to get irate, shouting

"No, you can piss off" again and again.

It really shocked and annoyed me and I'm just glad that they didn't get the bank details. I shall be contacting Trading Standards tomorrow when their offices are open, but I have a feeling that because the scammers set up in other countries, then there isn't anything that they can do.  angry21.gif

What happened TFS?
At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is an act of revolution

George Orwell